Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy (full)filling Thanksgiving Y'all!

After the family feast O'lover and I retreated to our cozy home for an important session of some long overdue truth telling about a matter as significant as any other matter...What do you want for Christmas?

But first. really quickly, i'm putting on my gratitude attitude for a stream of consciousness what-i'm-thankful-for list:

-O'lover's kindness and strength
-my family. They're good people.
-thoughtful friends
-folks who extend themselves to make things better
-the word "rucksack" and random words strung together
-pretty door bell rings
-homeopathic meds
-hot homemade applesauce (apples from our tree) with walnuts (gathered from the park)
-living outside of the rat race
-the clicking of knitting needles & whirrrrrhummm of the sewing machine
-"Pushing Daisies" on www.abc.com
-and to go full circle...I'm so so grateful for O'lover, the holiday season. and the fact that what we want for Christmas is delicious times with delicious people sprinkled with some "good will for all" on top.

But, hey if we must have gifts (and admittedly we must)...i'm voting for original art or anything homemade or used.

What do you think about "concocting" gifts from materials at hand rather than buying them? Raw truth please.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love homemade gifts, I truly do.

Anonymous said...

First of all, I don't watch TV ever, I haven't for a few years...until my dad talked me into watching Pushing Daisies. I Also I want to just copy your gratitude list minus the applesause because it'd give me a rash. Re: homemade gifts...the most precious gifts to my heart were handmade or found. My current set of paintings are Tokens of Love which is mostly about those kinds of gifts.
Let's get together soon!!!

Anonymous said...

those are BY FAR the best kind of gifts. of all of our many and generous wedding gifts, my favorite was a small piece of art made with our wedding invitation by mike kelly.

Anonymous said...

Another YES from me.

Anonymous said...

I love homemade gifts, AND gifts that are lovingly/formally used by the previous owner.

Anonymous said...

Too many to list, but one that comes immediately to mind is my precious little two year old angel-girl who quietly walks to me in the living room while I'm packing my bags for a long business trip (which I am still on unfortunately) snuggles up to me, gives me a melancholy hug and whispers "bye-bye, daddy" in her barely audible, airy, high pitched voice.

Nothing that money can buy can top that, in my book. Just wish it didn't have to be such a sad parting. On a happier note, I look forward to her squeals of delight--and her older brother's-- when I eventually make it home, with arms opened wide and coat pockets filled with "airplane cookies" -- a free gift to the kids courtesy Delta Airlines.

Anonymous said...

dmt,
it's sooo good to hear from you! Are you in India? Please send me pics of your kids!
Quel

Anonymous said...

I long for people to give me homemade gifts. No plastic please.